Sunday, June 3, 2007

Plastic

So, after feeling incredibly guilty for not being apart of the planning and organising of this exhibition, matters were made worse when I was the only participant who got media coverage. I arrive there today, expecting to just walk around, answer a few questions when asked. Instead I realise I am there to try and get people to sign up membership. Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything this Organisation is doing, I value the opportunity and realise it is only fair to give back to the Organisation that was allowing me to exhibit. However there is nothing I hate more than trying to convince people to spend money! Also to put moral pressure on them to feel obliged to do the right thing is even worse! Not only did I have to now do this, but I was being monitored, plus at the same time I was meant to be pushing a plastic fold up clothesline (which required no pegs) You try selling a clothesline! Everyone freakin has a clothesline! no one wants to spontaniously purchase another one... who cares that it requires no pegs... what is everyone meant to do with their existing pegs??? more plastic to throw away! WHAT the hell.

Moving on..... Half way through the day a strangely familiar man approached me. He asked me a few questions, stated that he had seen me in the paper. The man then asked me if the work I was exhibiting was my Lancôme work. I said "No. You know about Lancôme do you?" he said yes. I said "how?" he said "Because I am the head of design at your university" I am such a dick. Lucky I wasn’t doing my job properly and didn't push the clothesline!

On top of the cringing-ness of my ignorance and me trying to sell an Organisation, clothes line and the four eyes monitoring me, when I was asked specifics about my project, and people wanting my business card, I was repeatedly reminded that this was not a personal exhibition- I was there to promote the Organisation.

At the end of the day, I was asked if I would be interested in donating one of my designs for the exhibition to take overseas. hmmmmmmmmm the right, selfless thing to do would be to say yes. The automatic, gut reaction was....pfffft... Are you mental?....(That’s for the plastic clothes line!)

1 comment:

Damien said...

Yes. I am mental.